HOW DO I TELL IF MY GYNECOMASTIA IS CAUSED BY FAT OR BREAST TISSUES?
- Enlargement of the male breast is most often a combination of both glandular tissue and extra fatty tissue.
- The breast gland tissue feels firmer than the fat, but you might not be able to tell the difference.
- An examination by a Plastic Surgeon can usually differentiate this.
- Imaging studies such as ultrasound, Xray or MRI can be done to confirm. But an Ultrasound study is simple and cheap and cen give good information
- If you have a very lean body with hardly any fat, with firm tissue directly behind the nipple/ areola then chances are this is mostly breast gland tissue.
- My first step in correcting this is to be to check if you are near your ideal weight and rule out any medical issues that may be treatable without surgery.
- Medically reversible causes of gynecomastia are uncommon.
- So the best treatment is surgery. Results from surgical management done by a Plastic Surgeon are highly successful and satisfying.